Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
American Sociological Association
The American Sociological Association (ASA) invites applications for the position of Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. This is an exciting opportunity to fundamentally influence the discipline of sociology. ASA has a membership of over 11,000 sociologists who are scholars, teachers, and practitioners. Its mission is to serve sociologists in their work, advance sociology as a discipline and profession, and promote the contributions and use of sociology to society. ASA’s office is in Washington, D.C.
- Conceptualize and operationalize strategic direction for the association’s diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts focused on both the association and the discipline.
- Manage the 46 year old Minority Fellowship Program.
- Support the launch and ongoing development of “identity-based communities” centered on providing opportunities for engagement, leadership, connection, networking and professional development for sociologists within the broader ASA framework.
- Develop and implement relevant programming for departments and for sociologists in a variety of professional contexts that integrates and complements the efforts of the Research, Professional Development and Academic Affairs Department.
- Collaborate with organizational committees and other volunteer leadership groups in the interest of supporting relevant activities.
- Partner with external organizations to develop and/or participate in cross-disciplinary initiatives.
- Work with the communications department to develop and distribute relevant information through channels such as newsletters, website, and social media.
- Manage a departmental operating budget.
- Respond to relevant requests for assistance from members and staff.
- Serve as a member of the staff leadership team and manage additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
Job Classification: Exempt
Preferred Qualifications: It is important to note that these qualifications are preferred. We recognize that there are several professional profiles that could be well suited to this position. Should your profile vary in some ways from the qualifications listed and you think you can be successful in this endeavor, please do not hesitate to apply. Additionally, this position could be filled on an ongoing employment basis or as a two-year temporary position.
- PhD in sociology or closely related discipline.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience or equivalent.
- Familiarity with current discussions regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education and other professional contexts relevant for sociologists.
- Project management experience; a good ability to choose among alternatives and identify key priorities for work; ability to successfully manage multiple projects at once.
- Strong work ethic; maturity and organizational savvy; ability to work independently and in collaboration with teams; excellent interpersonal skills; excellent communication skills.
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is provided.
To apply: Please submit a substantive cover letter and a resume to Nancy Kidd, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter should indicate if you are applying for an ongoing position or a two-year temporary post. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until someone has been hired.
ASA is an equal opportunity employer.